Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Thorns and Thistles

Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them.  The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us.  ~Voltaire
Today as I contemplated how to begin again I had to pause to think exactly what it was I was to begin again-which life event to address first.
My oldest son and his wife have just lost a baby,they are in the process of moving back home, and the funeral is pending ,as a new job awaits him here.
My daughter and son in law,coincidentally ,are moving from our guest house  to a house nearer his job,about an hour away.
My youngest  received word just  last night, that his long awaited dream of enlistment as a Marine has been denied due to a minor heartbeat issue . 
My husband is struggling with health issues again and also pursuing retirement in the very near future.


As I reflected on each of these ,I was amused at myself for thinking I had some power to do anything about any of them!How absurd of me!!!!
Even the day to day issues of my other two children who are struggling through marriage issues ,financial difficulty because of the economy and all the other issues involved with those things,are beyond my control.
Honestly,what CAN I do about those things?


If I believe what I say I do ,then I need to leave those things at the feet of Jesus and trust Him to work them out for the good of each of them. 
I also need to get busy with the things that I can do ~ one of those things is sewing. 
I can begin again because I need to be busy,productive and ...ok ...I admit it...- I need the distraction so that I can continue on with what promises to be another exciting,eventful few months.


SO today,while life is at times unbearably difficult, I am determined to begin again in my sewing room and create clothing that I enjoy and my sweet clients enjoy.


I am determined not to dwell amongst the thorns in the way long enough to allow them to harm me.




And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according tohis purpose.
Romans 8:28



2 comments:

  1. I'm secretly, well...not now..., relieved that Luke will not be leaving as previously thought. I think he'll need to be a warrior in a different way. Life paths are shifting in your families world and I wish you the strength & energy to cope with the changes that are happening. Much love to you Autumn, as you meet the challenges. (((HUGS))) Bonne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn, we are praying for His grace to cover you all during this time, that He would be your strength and your comfort.

    JOYfully in Him,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete